Saturday

Umutomboko Traditional Ceremony, Zambia.

Mwata Kazembe
The Mutomboko traditional Ceremony is the ceremony of the Lunda people of Zambia. This colourful and beautiful ceremony falls on the last Saturday of July annually. This ceremony is the celebration performed after winning a battle. In the old days, it was celebrated by dancing and drinking off course after winning the battle. But with time, there were no mars or battles, the celebration started to fade till 1971 when it was made an official annual celebration during the Mwata Kazembe XVII Paul Kanyembo Lutaba's tenth anniversary of the instalment.


The Mwata being carried to a central ground
This event is held in Luapula Province, north of Zambia at Mwansabombwe village. It is a two day ceremony. Chief Mwata Kazembe opens the ceremony by performing traditional rituals at various sacred locations both within and outside the palace. Covered in white powder, the Mwata receives gifts of food and drinks from his subjects leading to the feasting and celebrations. This is on the first day.

The second day begins with an animal being slaughtered and the Mwata is carried by eight men to a central ground where the people cheer and shoot volley in the distance, it is here where he performs the Umutomboko; a Lunda dance of victory and the climax of the ceremony. There is a lot of symbolic dances performed by the Mwata. As he continues to dance, he points his sword to the north, east, south, west and finally to the sky and the ground, symbolising that only God and death can conquer him. The ceremony concludes when the Mwata is carried back to his fortress.

VISIT;Umutomboko Site for more information.

PICTURES
...

2 comments:

  1. EDWARD JONES FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com},
    God bless you sir, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Emily Thomas and I am from Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about EDWARD JONES FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now, She advised I give it a try so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation to him, he therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $390,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 2% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 2% and better repayment schedule, please contact EDWARD JONES FINANCE email:- {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} OR Text +1(307) 217-5388

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Muqse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...